The Letters Project: Conversing Across Narratives
September 1 - December 1
The Jewish Community Relations Council of Minnesota and the Dakotas is running a letter-writing contest based on Yossi Klein Halevi’s book, Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor: With an Extensive Epilogue of Palestinian Responses
Enter our high school contest (ages 14-18), our post-high school contest (ages 18-22), or our young adult contest (ages 22-30).
There will be three prize winners in each age group!
Three Cash prizes per age group: $360 for Overall Best, $180 each for Most Creative and Most Insightful
To be eligible for the contest, writers must do the following:
- Read the book
- Write a letter from your perspective to the author responding to the author of the book
- Submit your letter.
- Participate in one of our JCRC moderated conversations in December.
Prompt: Write a letter to Yossi Klein Halevi from your perspective.
Suggestions to get you thinking:
- What did you learn from the book?
- What do you understand in a new way after reading the book?
- What surprised you?
- What ideas were challenging for you?
- What are the most important things you will remember from this book?
We hope that these questions will guide your letter to Yossi. We want to read something unique from your perspective. Reading the book, writing the letter, and engaging in a substantive conversation will be excellent preparation for conversations about Israel you are likely to encounter going forward.
- Contest begins September 1, 2020
- Letters are due by December 1, 2020
- Facilitated conversations will take place in December. You will have a few different dates/times to choose from.
- Winner will be announced