JCRC Announces Letter Writing Contest for Teens
The Jewish Community Relations Council of Minnesota and the Dakotas announces a letter-writing contest for 11th and 12th graders based on Yossi Klein Halevi’s book, “Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor: With an Extensive Epilogue of Palestinian Responses”
Three Cash prizes: $360 for Overall Best, $180 each for Most Creative and Most Insightful
To be eligible for the contest, the teens must do the following:
- If you’re affiliated with a youth group, register with your youth director and download a copy of the book (audio or text), which will be reimbursed by the JCRC
- Read the book
- Write a letter from your perspective to the author responding to the author of the book
- Participate in a Zoom conversation with JCRC staff and your youth director.
Prompt: Write a letter to Yossi Klein Halevi from your perspective.
Suggestions to get you thinking:
- What did you learn from the book?
- What do you understand in a new way after reading the book?
- What surprised you?
- What ideas were challenging for you?
- What are the most important things you will remember from this book?
We hope that these questions will guide your letter to Yossi. We want to read something unique from your perspective.
Reading the book, writing the letter, and engaging in a substantive conversation will be excellent preparation for conversations about Israel you are likely to encounter going forward.
- Contest begins April 2, 2020
- Letters are due by April 29, 2020 (The book is a quick read)
- Facilitated conversations are taking place the week of May 4- details to follow
- Winner will be announced on May 12